AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program
Rocky River Drive, Cleveland (West Park), Ohio 44111
Private Training Appointments both East and West
Group Classes held in Rocky River.
“Training Dogs, One Human at a Time.”®
Serving all of Cuyahoga and surrounding counties
THE Dog Class
By Marie-Josée Gatian, Professional Dog Trainer, Behavioral Specialist
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppysm is an exciting new program designed to get dog owners and their puppies off to a good start. The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppysm Program is an incentive program for loving dog owners who have taken the time to take their puppies through a basic training class.
The Benefits of Training
Training classes teach you how to best communicate with your puppy. Organized training classes also provide an opportunity for your dog to socialize with other dogs. In classes aimed at earning the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy distinction, you’ll be able to get information on all of your puppy-raising questions including housetraining, chewing, and the most effective way to teach practical skills such as coming when called. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead in to the AKC® Canine Good Citizen® Program.
How It Works
When you complete a basic training class (taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator) with your puppy (up to 1 year old) your puppy is eligible to be enrolled in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program.
You'll attend any puppy or basic training class at least 6 weeks. Your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test at the end of the course. Upon passing the test, you'll get an application to send to AKC® for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program including purebreds and mixed breeds.
Your puppy will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal (for display or memento purposes; not suitable as a collar tag). You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records. In addition, so that you can continue learning, you’ll receive our AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy package that includes:
· A beautiful, frameable certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC
· AKC Puppy Handbook, a valuable resource
· Discount to enroll in AKC Companion Animal Recovery Corporation, a 24-hour recovery service
· Ongoing Monthly Email Newsletter: Your AKC. This includes training tips and up-to-date information every dog owner needs to know. We want you and your puppy to continue learning beyond puppy classes.
Test Items and Pledge
A key component of the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppysm Program is a responsible owner. Our Canine Good Citizensm Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge is for the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppysm Program too. Responsibility should start the moment you decide to add a new dog or puppy to your family.
AKC CGCsm Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
I will be responsible for my dog’s health needs. These include:
· routine veterinary care including check-ups and vaccines
· adequate nutrition through proper diet; clean water at all times
· daily exercise and regular bathing and grooming
· I will be responsible for my dog’s safety.
· I will properly control my dog by providing fencing where appropriate, not letting my dog run loose, and using a leash in public.
· I will ensure that my dog has some form of identification when appropriate (which may include collar tags, tattoos, or microchip ID).
· I will provide adequate supervision when my dog and children are together.
· I will not allow my dog to infringe on the rights of others.
· I will not allow my dog to run loose in the neighborhood.
· I will not allow my dog to be a nuisance to others by barking while in the yard, in a hotel room, etc.
· I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog’s waste in all public areas such as on the grounds of hotels, on sidewalks, parks, etc.
· I will pick up and properly dispose of my dog’s waste in wilderness areas, on hiking trails, campgrounds and in off-leash parks.
· I will be responsible for my dog’s quality of life.
· I understand that basic training is beneficial to all dogs.
· I will give my dog attention and playtime.
· I understand that owning a dog is a commitment in time and caring.
20 STEPS To Success: The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppysm Test
1. Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
7. Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
PRE-CANINE GOOD CITIZEN® TEST BEHAVIORS:
12. Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner